Recycle, Repurpose and Reduce, 12 Easy Ideas to Practice at Home
Taking care of our environment is easier than we think: It doesn’t take huge actions to start making changes that positively impact the planet we live in.
Being eco-wise is a celebration of the creativity we are all gifted with as humans; it is also a reaffirmation of our role as good stewards with what we’re given, and our responsibility to pass on these values to the generations to come.
There is a large list of things we can start doing right now to reduce landfill waste and preserve our natural surroundings.
BONUS: If you involve kids, you will be adding hands to these efforts, and eventually it will become their second nature when they’re adults.
Here our selection of small green choices for you to choose your favorite ones and start with new habits from this very moment!
- Use a reusable water bottle —preferably aluminum, glass or BPA-free plastic.
- Prefer cold washing cycles when doing your laundry
- Choose walking or cycling to nearby places
- Repurpose old t-shirts or towels, they’re great cleaning cloths for wood
- Plan your urban / roof garden. Having fresh herbs for your recipes it’s invaluable
- Collect rainwater and water your plants with it
- Reuse cardboard or scrap paper. Your kids are experts turning them into great artworks
- Unplug all the appliances your are not using, specially when you are out of home
- Prefer LED light above regular light bulbs, or choose energy saving bulbs.
- Try to consume as many local products as you can, this saves large amounts of gas/diesel
- Repurpose glass jars
- Find local recycling projects. Most supermarkets provide plastic recycling collection points
As you can see, turning “green” is easier than we thought, and all it takes is a decision.
At Solmar Hotels & Resorts we are continuously making choices to take care of our environment, and impact our staff members to replicate these actions at home.
We recently held the Recycling Contest in our premises, to put the creativity of our staff to the test, and they came up with astounding ideas we want to share with you.
Take a look at the whole list of Solmar Hotels & Resorts green practices.
Have you found these ideas interesting? Please feel free to share with family and friends to continue inspiring others to care for our planet.
Behind the scenes at two of the best restaurants in Los Cabos
Los Cabos has become part of the stellar culinary scene in Mexico. It may be the bounty of ingredients found in the region or the talented chefs from many parts of Mexico and around the world that come to this destination to settle down.
Proof of this is the collection of restaurants part of Solmar Hotels and Resorts that stand out with unique culinary creations and spectacular sceneries.
Day of the Dead: A Festivity Full of Life
You have probably heard of “Día de Muertos” or Day of the Dead, a Mexican festivity celebrated on November 1st and 2nd, but what does this celebration represent and why is it so important?
The flavors of Mexico directly to your table
We think there’s no better way to explore a new culture and discover a new country and its customs and traditions, is through the flavors cooked in their kitchen. And to prove so, we share a very traditional dish if you’d like to bring a piece of Mexico home.